In line with the crashes that I have experienced in the past, which I posted here, and my quest to get rid of them, I have been trying out running under different update releases of Mac OS X Leopard.
I started reporting the crashes here. By then, I was running under 10.5.3.
The most stable so far was when I run the Cintiq under 10.5.1. This was the configuration that I had when I first took delivery and operated the Cintiq. I could not remember experiencing any crashes back then.
I had to downgrade by reinstalling Leopard and all my other applications. I installed a new hard drive on my Mac Pro and installed the fresh new Leopard on that volume, keeping the problematic configuration on the stock hard drive.
As I suspected, everything worked fine under 10.5.1 and I was able to work problem free for a week. However, I could not resist trying out the new Tablet Driver that Wacom released. So I cloned the new hard drive onto the stock hard drive, virtually deleting the problematic configuration on that drive. I then rebooted to that volume, performed a software update to get it back to 10.5.3, and installed the new driver.
It still crashed.
By that time, Wacom emailed me back and told me that there were haxies running in my system. They found this out from the crash logs that I sent them. They told me to remove these as they are causing incompatibilities and may be the culprit to the instability that I was experiencing with my system.
Still under 10.5.3, I performed this procedure to remove said culprit.
I was able to run this configuration for a number of days problem free, except for those two crashes that occurred recently. Those crashes were kernel panics, and there was no mention of the Wacom Tablet Driver being the cause of the crash. So, the haxies removal may have solved it.
Enter 10.5.4, Apple’s latest software update. I may be wishfully thinking right now, but I have been sending my crash reports to Apple and maybe they have included some software fix to this update version.
So this morning, I updated the volume running 10.5.1, the one on the new hard drive, to 10.5.4. To do that, I first removed all Wacom Tablet Preferences and removed the driver itself. Once the software update was complete, I performed the haxies removal procedure and once rebooted, I downloaded the latest Wacom Tablet Driver once again and installed it.
So there you go. Crossing fingers once again and throwing all caution to the wind, I intend to run under this configuration. Wish me luck!